History

Since Red Deer was first settled, this part of the riverbank was used for industrial purposes, starting with a small sawmill, followed by a sandstone quarry in the 1890s. The area was primarily known as Reinholt Landing during these years, referencing the quarry owner, Henry Reinholt. In 1907, extensive expansion of the railyards and the development of grain elevators added to the primarily industrial and commercial use of the area.

Significant Change

In the years following the end of World War II, demand for Red Deer’s warehousing, commercial and light industrial grew rapidly in the area. In the early 1960’s, the Civic Yards moved into the area and throughout the 1960’s and early 1970’s, Riverlands continued to fill in with more commercial and light industrial businesses. Major changes came in the late 1980’s when the CP railway tracks were relocated and the area became better connected to the Downtown through the extension of Ross Street and the construction of Taylor Drive and Taylor Bridge.

The last major change for Riverlands, and the catalyst for the redevelopment plans, was the relocation of Civic Yards in spring 2009. This left a large amount of prime, riverfront real estate vacant in the greater downtown area.

Riverlands New Vision

Today, Riverlands is primarily a low‐density commercial‐industrial area with about 300 residents living in a townhouse development south of 43 Street and The Quarry condominiums along the river.

As of August 2017, the community ushered in a new era for the area with the announcement of its new name. Keep updated on Riverlands’ future as it becomes the visionary new community Capstone by subscribing now.

Subscribe